Sunday, July 06, 2008

Activism!

Currently, the Arecibo telescope has massive budget cuts lurking in the future. Due to a four million dollar shortfall from the National Science Foundation, the Arecibo radio telescope would not longer be able to operate. This would be horrible!

Well, the folks at SETI@home thought so too. They depend on Arecibo to collect the data for analysis. So they have a stake in this cut, which is why they came up with this handy little letter to send to your representatives to support a bill to restore the funding. All you have to do is put in your address (don't worry. SETI@home is an entirely trustworthy organization. They won't steal or sell your info.) and it'll give you a .pdf of three letters that you just print out and send to your Congessmen (two to your senators and one to your representative). Of course, if you want, you can use the sample letter to write your own personalized letter (which is what I ended up doing). But even if you don't have the time to write, if you just type, print, and send; it will make a difference. So fill out that form and save Arecibo!

1 comment:

Larry said...

Although I believe this petition is entirely ineffective.

I looked up who sponsors the Senate bill. I don't think I'd support it with those sponsors. I'm not a constituent, so I don't think they'd care.