Friday, February 29, 2008

New ATI driver

A new ATI Catalyst driver (8.2) was released a few weeks ago. For those experiencing less-than-stellar performance running compiz with the 8.1 driver, I recommend you upgrade. The fixes in this version are:
• The X server no longer crashes if the screen
resolution is changed in horizontal or vertical desktop setup with a monitor that does not support DDC;
• The X server no longer segfaults or fails to initialize DRI if a BusID was specified in an unexpected format in xorg.conf;
• The X server no longer freezes on shutdown if atieventsd is running;
• The first OpenGL application run after starting a session on X server version 1.4 no longer hangs.

Now, I know that with me, compiz has been causing X to freeze quite a bit, so I haven't done surgery to find out exactly what the problem was, but this looks like it will at least make some improvement. You can get the driver from the web site, and my installation instructions will still work for this one. In fact, I'd recommend that way, because you leave apt to take care of all of the package managing and installation.

No comments: