Monday, March 26, 2007

Graveman

Now, usually when I come across a good piece of GNU software, I praise it. However, this is an exception. Graveman has not been a good piece of software to me, in fact, it has caused me a bunch of trouble. In order to make a multisession DVD, use K3b instead, even if you use GNOME. Graveman has caused me to lose use of my DVD drive (details). This is going to be a very involved problem and with Costa Rica looming ahead, it ain't going to be pretty. I'm going to start a blacklisted programs category that haven't been working on my computer, I guess. And until the bugs are identified (a necessity for a program to be blacklisted is that I must report a bug) they will remain on the blacklisted category. Now, any other programs that I don't know to cause trouble, they're wonderful. So Graveman, until you fix my bug, your program will remain on my bad side.

Now, I know some people will say, "It's open source, fix it yourself". Well, my reply to that is that I am not familiar with the programming language and the code base, and studying the program, and I don't have the time to be. In fact, I'm doing a favor by reporting this bug so that other people who use this program don't feel the same way. I'm sorry, Graveman, for making this screed, but I've gotten frustrated from this problem, and I feel it's the best I can do for other people.

[EDIT] I think I was wayyyy too harsh. Graveman is still considered beta. So, I'll remove it from the blacklist and hope the problem gets solved. I found a quick, band-aid solution, so that's good. And I guess it can always wait. I KNOW I overreacted to this, and to any Graveman developers, I apologize. I guess I just needed a rant.

No comments: